In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Advent


I had this grand idea that I'd write dozens of Advent posts for December, with devotional musings, literary recommendations, quiet inspiration and reminders to pause. Haha.

I've barely had time to breathe myself.

And this year, I want to say yes to the offers of Christmas parties that come my way. And to host a few myself. And that means more hands on, and fewer quiet nights alone, which is right for this time of year. Tonight I'm having some of my siblings over for dinner. Latvian stew and wine. Salad and green beans. Pavlova and spiced cutouts and coffee. Napkins shaped like elf-hats, red dishes, and silver candlesticks. The White Christmas soundtrack, a puzzle in progress, and this large cozy bnb to explore.

Nothing taxing, but each piece especially chosen for comfort, enjoyment, and festivity.

My room is quiet and clean. The Scandinavian candelabra lit in the window. Two advent (battery) candles lit. And an empty menorah waiting to celebrate the Feast of Lights next week.

Last night I started reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe again. And was so delighted and inspired that I spent the rest of the evening making paper cut-out pictures of Tumnus in the snow.

I also happen to be five books away from my yearly goal of 52 books read in a year. And being this close, I feel duty-bound to fulfill it. So instead of picking up a pen these days, I've had my nose in Campion, and my audiobooks playing Wodehouse and Sayers and Stevenson. It's not a bad way to start the winter...

Signing off now, but I expect more percolated thoughts to come through in the next couple of days.

Peace.

Christ has come!

Christ will come again!

No comments: