In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flavia Friday

Quotes taken from The Grave’s a Fine and Private Place to brighten your day


“Fortune favors girls with guts” some ancient Roman had once written, or ought to have written, because it’s true.


I took a biscuit and dipped it in my tea. Etiquette be hanged.


When God has given you a great brain and long lashes, they may sometimes be the only weapons you have at your disposal, and it is best to know how to use them effectively.


“Talent is a terrible task-mistress” I remarked, picking this shockingly trite bit of rot out of thin air. I was ashamed of myself, but still rather proud. 


As so often happens when you are a girl of intelligence, the answer was already right there in my head, ready for immediate use, like a celestial screwdriver.


No comments: