In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some things stay the same

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/37/be/45/37be459ad00939f60878dec109db4aba.jpg

Sometimes after the burst of newness at the turn of the year, I like to look around and see what hasn't changed. What stays the same, as the world turns and all its residents step into January looking for a new lease on life? Through all the reversals and new directions of the last year, and even the first weeks of this one, some things carry on. 

I still dance to the music, spiderman is always amazing, friends come in clutch on hard nights, book stacks are exciting. Family is dear, Adele is fire, fried potatoes are worth it; and you can still frequently find me of an evening, turning on jazz, sipping wine or herbal tea in my satin pajamas, writing away at some article or project.

As often happens, difficult circumstances weren't long in coming to my shiny new year. There will always be those, whether or not they come from expected quarters. And this week, to top it off, I've come down with a pernicious cold (rapid tests two days in a row say no covid, but it's nasty either way). I've been home from work, sipping tea and cooking vegetables and soup, watching movies and embroidering.

But if the universe is trying to challenge my resolve to my word-for-2022  flourish,  it needn't bother. Flourishing is all about letting the buffeting wind make you strong, about living with grace and gentleness to yourself and others, about taking as many tries as needed to clear a hurdle. It's about looking around you and seeing what is still beautiful, and about embracing that extra flair in yourself.

I had more thoughts, but my brain has been scrambled by this germ, and so I'll close out for tonight and return another day. But my adventurous, writing, Jo soul is glad to be here. I have plans for book recommendations, and other fun posts. Give yourselves grace to step back, rest, and thrive, my dears. I'll see you soon

2 comments:

Kat said...

Every single word of this: Yes.

Karrie Diggs said...

as many tries
as we need to clear a hurdle...oh my word...YES!