In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have immortal longings in me

And though I hold no power in myself

No crown, no kingdom, not a claim to wealth

I cannot count myself among the poor

For daily laid outside my door

Are the riches of eternity

As strewn among the stars

As built with words and imagery

And strong as life and death

And wavering hope that cannot die


Somehow I feel that the stronger my wings

And the weaker my cage

The more confinement leans in upon me

I find myself afraid that in some way

My capacity's wealth of words and worlds,

Eternity, and thoughts that go on and on to inspiration...

Might crush me under their very weight,

Or worse than ever yet... 

Cease to come

No comments: