In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

July
by Olivia, in the summer of 2006 or 2007 :)
.
It speaks to me of summer heat
Of struggling grass and burning street
Of sweating drinks that cool my hand
When lemonade is in demand
.
Though heat is more a friend than foe
It never our love for breeze will know
And oft in shade of trees we find
A rest for body and the mind
.
Before the warmth had come to height
We raise the banner: blue, red, white
Then mix a dish to chill, and pack
The cookies for an evening snack
.
We all arrive in festive air
The breeze caresses our damp hair
Up high in blue shines out a torch
And smiling on we cross the porch
.
Activities throughout the day
Might possibly contain hose-spray
While over picnic bounty lingers
Playful feet and serving fingers
.
On past this day my thoughts reach out
The fireworks gone--to days without
The noise of people, all I see
Is green beans being picked by me
.
Then back to people--at the lake
And splashing water, eating steak
Build towers high from fresh wet sand
Then back in water, back to land
.
I've left out lots of things, you know
Enjoy them all and learn and grow
In summer's heat and winter's chill
In flow'ry valley, sun-baked hill
.
Learn: God, in all good things we see
Shows crazy love and so should we
And don't forget it's 'Only the
First sentence of eternity'

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I think I may have seen one of your poems for the first time on your mother's blog. I was amazed then, and now. Thanks for sharing your gift.