In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello again


Bonjour mes amis!

After so long away from writing here, and with all the fullness that life can be (and the emptiness it can sometimes feel), I feel almost like a different person when I come back to this blog. A new person, hands poised above the keyboard, ready to leave my mark here. Is this still my place?

And so I am here to introduce myself today.
My name is Olivia. I am called Liv by most of the people who know me.
I am called to Live, by the one who writes my story, and yours, who spoke the stars into existence, and who loves every dandelion and tadpole even more than I do.

Stories are a theme here. I love stories. From the books on my shelves I have traveled and fought and learned and witnessed a thousand things. And every person I meet has an infinite soul and a long and varied story of their own with hidden struggles and private joys. I love to hear people laugh, see their eyes light up, and talk about things they are passionate about.

My story is long and complicated already, although I've only been around the sun twenty-four times. If you visit me in my tiny home, my Dandelion Den, I can tell you the story behind the bits of art on my wall, and the books on the shelf; even my mugs have stories. I have quotes up everywhere, from some of my favorite sources, to brighten my days, make me smile, and remind me what I love and who I want to be. And I'll give you a cutting of my spider-plant to take home with you.

These days are not filled with fabulous enterprises, or parties, or plans. It may only take a moment to tell you whether or not my calendar has plans for me this week. But that which fills my time is a different matter entirely. I may feel that I watch too many shows, or am cluttered with appointments, or remain unmotivated to do all the things on my list. But none of that can paint the picture of my days and hours here.

I found my unabridged audio of the Two Towers recently and have it on in my car, so that every time I drive somewhere I am surrounded by these long-time friends and the glorious inspiration and wisdom that is The Lord of the Rings. It is restorative to my very bones.

The music albums I've had on repeat recently are "Oh My My" by One Republic, and "American Dream" by Dominic Balli; "Crazy Talk" by Mat Kearney , and "In Between Dreams" by Jack Johnson (basically always on my repeat list). My listening to Shane and Shane doesn't fall into neat album categories of course, nor does my playlist from women of the faith... and all the other bits of music that fill my days, including that french rap song I'm trying to learn... speaking of which...

J'apprend le français! I've been learning French off and on for the last couple of years, but lately have been really throwing myself into it, and for a very good reason. I am visiting France in June! Absolutely thrilled about this trip--to be able to see some beloved places in Europe for the first time. And looking forward to putting into practice this language I've been trying to get a handle on.
I will be documenting my trip as much as possible with photos and insta-stories (in which I will speak French).
So if you see me staring off into the middle-distance more than usual, I am probably conjugating French verbs. Also... if you're  a francophone and want to converse with me to help me learn, let me know!

So my days are filled with great music, amateur dance moves, and muttering French under my breath; epic stories and beloved characters and generous laughter; podcasts and sweatshirts from Preemptive Love, the smiling and mischievous face of my goddaughter. I work at a coffee-shop in the morning, and in the afternoon take long walks in the sunshine, birdsong ringing through the trees and sky.

There are many places I want to visit, many things I want to do; there are people I really want to get to know, and friendships I want to hold on to. There is a great deal ahead of me, and a great deal behind. And sometimes the unknown stretches out in a daunting parabola. But greater than my fears is my hope. And greater than my courage is the steadfast love of the living God. And dawn is ever the hope of men, as Strider says.

Thank you for stopping by this corner of the internet today. I'd pour you a cup of tea if I could reach your mug. This turned into quite the ramble, so your patience is appreciated. Leave me a comment to let me know what fills your days. Do you want book recommendations? I love thinking about books...

The Lord of the Rings
A Gentleman in Moscow
Uneasy Money
Clouds of Witness
One Corpse Too Many
Death by Living

C'est tout pour ce soir.
bonne nuit mes gens

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Delightful. So glad to read you here. ��

Michal said...

I wish we could have tea and talk about A Gentleman in Moscow! I just told Aunt Karrie today that while I liked it, I didn't quite love it, although I thought it was quite well-written.

I have been loving Colin Watson's Inspector Purbright books. Have you read those? They are very Margery Allingham-ish with an extra twist of dark British village humor.

Olivia said...

Having tea with you and talking about books sounds amazing! I am a great believer in the fact that different books can really spark magic with some people and not with others. It's always interesting to find that be so with people I share many favorites with. Art and literature can be so personal! Hope to see you before too long...

I have not read any Colin Watson's books. I will have to check them out! Have you read Ellis Peter's Inspector Felse mysteries? More mid-century British atmosphere and intrigue..

Unknown said...

Hello Friend...You are a gifted wordsmith...Thank you for a glimpse inside of your unfolding life. You have been blessed with a strong faith and wonder-full and Christ-following family. Wishing you all the joy and happiness you deserve. Perhaps we will see each other over the summer. Be well, Safe travels, God-speed.
Bill Q.

Kat said...

So lovely to see you here!