In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2021

 

 "You ever see a pretty dress, a well organized notebook, a peculiar balcony or read one line of poetry and get the overwhelming urge to reinvent yourself?"

 Christmas is one of the few things that I anticipate with all my heart and yet am not sorry when it's over. I think it's the new year. The possibilities ahead. The blank slate that never ceases to fill me with wonder and courage and hope. I get excited for the return of routine... with a spice of newness. My music choices have been refreshed by my detour through Christmas music. I've an inspiring new list of books to read, and am ready to reread some old favorites.

'know your own happiness. want for nothing but patience ~ or give it a more fascinating name: call it hope' - Austen

This year, as I contemplate which resolutions to set as my aim, I tried to take several things into account. Firstly, no guilt-trips. No agonizing pressure. This list should be inspiring, not discouraging. I've also tried to approach the issue from several angles. 

One angle might simply be things its high time I got to: make an appointment with a new chiropractor, replace my electric toothbrush, clean my makeup brushes, find a butcher.

Another line of thought might be experiences or accomplishments: canoe on the St. Croix, plan a trip to Europe, relearn Liebestraum on the piano, finish 'Stamped' by Ibram X. Kendi, complete another 1,000 piece puzzle, learn to cook pho

And yet another route, a sort of 'resolution by area' is to choose an intention to directly appose one of my particular struggles. Not only to fix by minute habit the overarching aches of life, but also to bring some bright thing--some definite action--to mind when the shadows appear. 

For instance, in answer to depression, I propose to prioritize my writing. It is a passion of mine, and one too easily sidelined. It fills me with purpose, things to do, and feeling like Jo again. In other words, very much myself.

In answer to my anxiety, I will aim to meditate

I struggle with fatigue: I will work on a bedtime routine that I can fully enjoy and endorse.

Motivation is such a fickle thing. I've booked Intentionality Meetings with myself, monthly, to plan the one ahead.

I feel crowded, so I will sell and give away that which I am no longer using.

Scrolling on the internet seems like something we're all trying to get away from, a little unsuccessfully. It is often difficult to find the healthiest lines, as our phones have become our access to maps, music, books, and news, as well as social media. I've just discovered app time-limits and app downtime, which I find incredibly helpful. And I hope will foster more awareness, more setting aside of the phone to be present.

In a similar line comes the restlessness, often a by-product of, or at least a withdrawal symptom from denying the internet, or sugar (our Januarys may begin a bit grumpy). And in answer, we of course have analog pass-times, a category we probably thought unnecessary a few years ago, and now has to be so strictly stated. This deserves its own blogpost and will probably get it: things we could be doing instead of staring at a screen: yes, even if you don't have enough friends, or close-by family, or money, or even energy. I will return to this subject...

For the times when I do indeed want to kick back in front of some solid entertainment, and yet want to avoid the inane drivel of most television, I want to come up with a list of excellent movies to spend my time on.

For overall health and well-being, to combat stiffness and digestive ills and cravings, my best plan of action is to change it up. In January for instance, I will be doing 30 days of Yoga with Adriene (as I've done annually for the past seven years or so) and cutting out refined sugar entirely. In February perhaps I'll do a squat challenge and eat more greens.

  'who says i can't be free from all of the things that i used to be' - John Mayer

And there are always a few that try to defy grouping. Perhaps they could be fitted here or there, but mostly I just think they'll make me happy: visit bookstores, watch cooking shows, have an ongoing gratitude list for all of 2021.

"Waste time this year. Go for long rambling walks. Write poems. Try a new recipe just because. Pray. Paint. Knit something. Read that big old book. Write on your novel. Our world is obsessed with productivity, but "unproductive" hours are the most soul-shaping parts of our lives." -Joy Clarkson

  I won't say that swinging into 2021 with any grace doesn't take some grit. But you know what? I'm ready to meet it head on, and toe to toe. I will not let my wit be dimmed by grief, or my intelligence dulled by monotony. I will practice presence and poise this year. I will show up with soul.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yes! I love this. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ