In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

22nd

Today is a most happy occasion, wherein the autumnal equinox coincides with the birthdays of our dear Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.  I have had that birthday on my calendar ever since I got it in January, so this is a big day.  Mostly we bake ~Molasses cookies for the equinox, ~Seed-Cake (for the first time this year) for the Hobbits' birthday, ~Pie, for both. 
Also tea.  Must have tea.
And cozy meals, and mushroom eggs for breakfast.
And purple and pumpkin-y and autumnal clothes.
Happy Birthday my dear hobbits!
***
"Bilbo and Frodo happened to have the same birthday, September 22nd.  'You had better come and live here, Frodo my lad,' said Bilbo one day; 'and then we can celebrate our birthday-parties comfortably together.' --The Fellowship
 
~unsweetened rooibos tea and fresh Seed-Cake!
{tomato and mozzarella with olive oil and basil, & sweet cold kombucha}
" 'Come along in and have some tea!' he[Bilbo] managed to say after taking a deep breath.

'A little beer would suit me better, if it is all the same to you, my good sir,' said Balin with the white beard.  'But I don't mind some cake--seed cake, if you have any.'

'Lots!'  Bilbo found himself answering, to his own surprise; and he found himself scuttling off, too, to the cellar to fill a pint beer-mug, and then to a pantry to fetch two beautiful round seed-cakes which he had baked that afternoon for his after-supper morsel. " --The Hobbit

I'm quite happy with how they turned out!

6 comments:

Julian said...

Looks delicious! Happy Hobbit day! Now for some lord of the rings and hot chai tea!
Christina

Jodi said...

Why am I not surprised that our posts are almost identical! lol. Great minds think alike.

Kat said...

You are the best. Thank you for sharing your delicious seed cakes!

Jodi said...

I'm thinking we should combine our efforts next year. What say you?

Olivia said...

Oh yes indeed! Sounds perfect. I would so love to share that with you, one hobbit to another. Shall we work toward it, then?

Jodi said...

That would be very nice.