In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

o 0 o

I adore rain.

The way it colors things and makes things new
Pearling up on everything like dew
The way the textures seem to come alive
Under the water's streaming drive

And the swishing, splattering way it meets
All the corners and all the streets
Dripping, cascading through gutters and grooves
Down the roof, down my nose, all that stay, all that moves...

I can murmur and smirk at the streaming rain
With my knees and elbows against the pane
Fingers wrapped soundly round a good cup of tea
With the drops sliding down the glass, spying on me

I love how the leaves get picked up in the swirl
And then plastered on everything after their twirl
The smell of wet leaves, sodden grass and damp earth
Has been a favorite of mine, I believe, since my birth

Showering, drumming, on pavement, on grass
On bright, leafy foliage, shingles and glass
Bouncing and dropping into puddles, ponds, and lakes
Rolling off the backs of mallard hens and woody drakes

I'm always in the mood for a rainy mood to come by,
Tapping me on the shoulder, inviting me to sniff and sigh-
It causes me to ponder and read even more
To stir up something hot,  while I watch the  world   pour.

I adore rain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Livi dearest - you are SOOOO your Grammy's girl! I too love the rain ... and thunder too! Thank you for saying what I am thinking. <3