In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trying something (anything) for 30 days is a good idea


As soon as I committed to doing this Whole30 thing, suddenly I wanted to do 30 days of everything: yoga, posting stuff I like on Instagram, blogging. And the thing about committing to something big(ish) for 30 days is that it's commitment: You have to move the rest of your world around to accommodate it. I started meal-planning and cooking ahead, and making freezer meals for 'emergencies', and suddenly my life is in a steep trend toward being more organized. I started laying out my clothes for the next couple of days. I want to keep up instagram to document my journey. I need to journal privately as well so that I can track the physical and emotional effects. I want to track the effect on exercise (and reap maximum benefits), so I dedicated to a daily yoga routine. Because of the detox and changes involved, I'm going to keep an eye on my water intake. And try to listen to when my body needs sleep or fresh air.

And I haven't even started.

I'm not saying you should decide to do everything at once. Not at all. We know how biting off more than we can chew can be discouraging and lead to us finishing nothing. I'm saying: pick something you're passionate about, give yourself 30 days to be dedicated to it, and see what other areas of your life follow suit.

And yes, I will get back to you on how it goes, and what parts of the dedication I am able to follow through on. Because I am genuinely interested to know for myself.
Raise your glass (of water) to October!



No comments: