In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October


I have this enormously long list of things I need to do, like clean my apartment and redecorate, make soup and pickles, memorize scripture, shower, plan ahead and make lists, read, go for a walk.
Instead I'm researching Hogwarts houses, and drinking Earl Grey.

These first October days have been brisk and cold, mostly rainy and grey, with a few spots of sunshine. I got the AC unit out of my window, and a couple of days ago I woke up and my radiator was warm to my touch. I haven't had time yet to reorganize for the autumn and winter, and I'm genuinely looking forward to it. But my days have been unusually full of people. It's been so good. Even in moments when I felt too weary to make conversation, each interaction brought life and connection. But there hasn't been much time around the edges. With a full week of work, and cooking every meal carefully for whole30, (and things that come up like car repairs and buying eggs), I mostly jot down lists of things on my mind, and to-do, and then crawl into bed.

 

Thankfully I've got this Saturday afternoon to procrastinate, and (hopefully) also get things done. I'm so looking forward to having my apartment reorganized and spruced up for the cold months. I want to use my desk more, and have my chair be this cozy place where I can curl up after work to read A Child's Calendar, and the Joe Rigney books I just bought. I can't wait to get back into listening to lectures and pouring through my Chesterton and Lewis again.
Read about Seven Values for Learning over on Sarah Clarkson's blog.


"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in fall" --F. Scott Fitzgerald


By the way... What Hogwarts House do you think I am?


No comments: