In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Autumn Picnic

The Vine Bearer

With such beautiful, fleeting weather, Ben and I decided to spend a day out in it. The air was cool, but the sunshine was lovely. We brought a loaded picnic basket, books and embroidery in my back-pack, and planned to make wreaths from the vines in the grove. They look like wild grape vines, but they don't grow grapes.


This was the first one I made
.
.
And then it was time to eat:
cold chicken
refrigerator pickles
apples and dip
apple-butter sandwiches
pumpkin bread
and a little tea, lemonade, & water


I wanted it to be special for autumn.
. . . he likes chicken :)

Do you notice what I didn't? windfall. . . the real picnic experience

.
Atop the round bales near the pond:
Enjoying Susan Branch



And another, thicker one. Can you see the curly tendrils?

~sage and yarrow~

1 comment:

Kat said...

What a lovely, lovely picnic! I enjoyed these pictures so much, Livi.