In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wodehouse Wednesday


'And then Lady Malvern came back, a good bit ahead of schedule. I hadn't been expecting her for days. I'd forgotten how time had been slipping along. She turned up one morning while I was still in bed sipping tea and thinking of this and that. Jeeves flowed in with the announcement that he had just loosed her into the sitting-room. I draped a few garments round me and went in.
There she was, sitting in the same arm-chair, looking as massive as ever. The only difference was that she didn't uncover the teeth as she had done the first time.
"Good morning," I said. "So you've got back, what?"
"I have got back"
There was something sort of bleak about her tone, rather as if she had swallowed an east wind. This I took to be due to the fact that she probably hadn't breakfasted. It's only after a bit of breakfast that I'm able to regard the world with that sunny cheeriness which makes a fellow the universal favorite. I'm never much of a lad till I've engulfed an egg or two and a beaker of coffee.
"I suppose you haven't breakfasted?"
"I have not yet breakfasted."
"Won't you have an egg or something? Or a sausage or something? Or something?"
"No, thank you."
She spoke as if she belonged to an anti-sausage society or a league for the suppression of eggs. There was a bit of a silence.'

~P.G. Wodehouse, Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest

“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.” 

~P.G. Wodehouse


I am a great believer in breakfast; and tea; and both together.  These Minnesota winter days, we drink tea around the clock, to keep our warmth and spirits up.  Others of my family are also quite partial to their coffee, and we have taken to quoting Wodehouse quite often when we are in need of either one.
"Tea, tea, tea--what? What?" and
"Coffee.  Where's my coffee?  I need coffee; why have I none?"
but quite distinctly in the proper accents of course, Bertie and Lord Emsworth, respectively.
Happy tea and things to you!

1 comment:

Julian said...

I am a coffee drinker myself although I also enjoy roobios and chain. I was 7 in Minnesota. I remember the winters well!Stay warm! Christina***