In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fight the Fog Friday

I had such great intentions to blog yesterday and the day before. I had such great plans yesterday to post Thursday is for Thankfulness, and also for Throwbacks because I hadn't posted Wodehouse Wednesday the day before.... but oh well.
I will fight the fog.
I will start reading Chesterton.
Sometimes I will fight the flab as well (sometimes I just eat potatoes and bacon).
The hobbits have made it to Bree.
Here's the Wodehouse anyway. Because one needs it.


"I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled." P.G. Wodehouse, the Code of the Woosters

"I'm not absolutely certain of the facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare who says that it's always just when a fellow is feeling particularly braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with the bit of lead piping." P.G. Wodehouse, Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest

"Mike nodded. A sombre nod. The nod Napoleon might have given if somebody had met him in 1812 and said, 'So, you're back from Moscow, eh?'" P.G. Wodehouse, Mike and Psmith

"A certain critic--for such men, I regret to say, do exist--made the nasty remark about my last novel that is contained 'all the old Wodehouse characters under different names.' He has probably by now been eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time by putting in all the old Wodehouse character under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy." P.G. Wodehouse, Summer Moonshine

"It was one of those cases where you approve the broad, general principle of an idea but can't help being in a bit of a twitter at the prospect of putting it into practical effect. I explained this to Jeeves, and he said much the same thing had bothered Hamlet." P.G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Morning

"I pressed down on the mental accelerator. The old lemon throbbed fiercely. I got an idea." P.G. Wodehouse

No comments: