In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

from yesterday

I was born longing for days like these. Days when the autumn wind comes rushing in, and the tips of my toes are cold against the floor, even through my socks. When gold-corduroy jackets and soft button-downs are called for, and rain begins half-way through the morning. Days when I look just right without eye-makeup, and dress in cozy grays for the coffee-shop morning. When geese periodically honk overhead all throughout the day, and I notice the nearby treetops are burnished orange and impending crimson.

I was born with longings too deep to describe... for beauty, for change like leaves, for sky and hope, for love and family and feasting, and for more that cannot be explained or quantified. I long for God, more every year. And I'm beginning to ask for more of him when I long for all those glorious things that he likes to give me anyway.

Like today, when I get to spend hours of the afternoon making food for the week: chicken and veggies in the oven, fried rice on the stove; hot cider-tea for The Hobbit movie night tonight. A fresh pot of tea, and some positively joyous internet-perusals. Motherdy passed along the link to this gem. I look forward to her blogging of course, but check out the link to her Pinterest boards! --to die for. An aesthetic kindred, right down to hobbit-holes and narrowboats. I also read a bit from Lanier, and scrolled through a bit of homeyness a la Susan Branch.


No comments: