In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday is for Tolkien

Apparently I get in moods with particular proclivity for alliteration. It seems to jumpstart my blogging at least, if not my actual creativity. 

Autumn has come. The weather is only a dash cooler, but the air has that distinct clarity that renders color and shape more solidly, and puts my aesthetic senses on high alert. Texture and light have become again, dramatic elements of my universe. More solid it seems. More visible and tangible than at other times. My mind turns again to art, to education, to cleanliness.

My Tuesday was also for Ted Talks today, like this one that I listened to while scrubbing the stairs (so hard the paint came off too). If you liked that one, check out this one that comes after.

But my day began with 'A Shortcut to Mushrooms' on my morning commute, easing into 'A Conspiracy Unmasked' as I drove homeward after work, (also brief friend-chats, reading from Weight of Glory, having the mechanic glance at my car, and picking up mounds of lovely food from Aldi).

mushroom pie
So pleased to have Tolkien and Lewis bouncing around in my head these days. May it ever be so! Hoping to add some Chesterton in the days ahead, as well as some study on Jack himself, and probably some perusal of PG Wodehouse while I'm at it. Also, books that come to mind for this sort of weather (coming at you from two very different genres, get ready): The Reluctant Widow, and Innocence. Must collect those from the library before too long. Inter-library loan here I come!

And without further ado, let me hand you over to the Tolkien himself, by way of Gildor Inglorion, and Faramir, Ranger of Ithilien (still my favorite)

'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.'
~three is company~

"Sit at peace! And be comforted, Samwise. If you seem to have stumbled, think that it was fated to be so. Your heart is shrewd as well as faithful, and saw clearer than you eyes. For strange though it may seem, it was safe to declare this to me. It may even help the master that you love. It shall turn to his good, if it is in my power. So be comforted."
~the window to the west~

'For myself,' said Faramir, 'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour  all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of NĂºmenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.'
~the window to the west

No comments: