In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's September for real

I like to think of my birthday as a beginning. A first. September makes that easy. The brisk days are beginning. It is time to start wearing my goldenrod-colored jackets again. The change of tone in sky and barometer bring on a depth of poetic soul that I crave, and that only resinates just so with the timbre of autumn. Tea and cider are in fashion again, along with the he-who-must-not-be-named of coffee: I'm not actually anti-pumpkin-spice (nor in league for the suppression of eggs) but one must brace oneself. I must admit, though I must have made hundreds, I've never actually drunk one, not being fond of the effect sugar and dairy have on me.

It is time to think about soup again; a good time to start a new Bible-reading schedule, get back into daily yoga, perhaps blogging. A good time to find solitude among trees and ache for civilization in the falling of leaves.
Every time is a time to search around for the best playlist, or create a new one to suite the mood. Just around the corner are the days for Vince Guaraldi... I thought I smelled gingersnaps while I was balancing in tree earlier.
I found an enamel-covered cast-iron dutch-oven (whew, what hyphenation!) at the Salvation Army, which made me nearly giddy with joy.
More cleaning and decorating is on the docket... Who knows when I'll get to those. No matter.

This year, September began with more than the usual amount of excitement and ceremony. Some dear friends got married last week (already it seems quite an age ago) and so the days surrounding were busy with preparation and with all the many, very dear people who rallied round for the big day. Those were unforgettable days, filled with laughter and hard work, prayer, soccer, and dancing. I was blessed to be a part of that time.
The ceremony was magically beauteous, held among drooping trees and beside running water, saluted from above by v's of geese headed south.

My birthday was nestled in there among the festivities, unforgotten. I wore my happiest dress, and when I opened my door in the morning I was met by a stair-well full of roommates ready to wake me up. There were pancakes with candles, pounds of bacon, coffee....😍 and early morning conversation, which is a favorite of mine.

As I embark on my twenty-fourth year of life, I contemplate the world before me with not a little amount of amusement, excitement, and peace. I am ready to be surprised; planning to be amazed. This last year has been harder and better than many I have known. My scope for what God can and will do, for what he loves to do, and for what he does that I love, has continued to expand. My world gets bigger, and more beautiful; the rock I stand on is more solid than physicality could make it. I may be unsure of many things, but I am certain that I will see the goodness of the Lord. And I will continue to praise him whom my soul longs for. And that the One who cannot lie has declared me whiter than snow.

There is no better news than that.

And these days I'm quite exhausted. I find myself napping most days, falling asleep in random places: chairs, the car (not while driving... usually), during movies of course, the bath. Worry not, should soon be more or less caught up. But weeks of festivity can wear you out! While still in recovery mode, I've been enjoying NCIS LA which finally came through my library. And the last couple of days I have so enjoyed Adriene's Shakti practice, and yoga for the spine.

And this video is amazing and crazy inspiring. Listen to Sam Dancer and see if he doesn't make your list of coolest humans:

Shout out to my brother Will who's competing at the Granite Games this weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday Olivia!!! And, AMEN there is no better news than to know we have been cleansed!!! What a Saviour!!! <3 Happy 24th year to you!!~tammy