In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cold December Night


In drear nighted December
Too happy, happy brook
Thy bubblings ne'er remember
Apollo's summer look;
But with a sweet forgettting,
They stay their crystal fretting,
Never, never petting
About the frozen time
-Keats

I am certainly making lists and checking them twice these days. I wrote the letter for the GIVEAWAY tonight. If you were the Anonymous commenter on the giveaway post, you won! But the time is running out to claim it. I'll give you till I post tomorrow, then it'll go to the next person on the list. Thanks for all who participated, and remember: if you wanted to be chosen and wish for something in the mail from me: shoot me an address! I'd love to send a fat letter your way.

After work today, and picking up wine for mulling, and oatmilk for tea, and so on, I came home and threw a couple of tea-cakes in the oven. By teacake, I simply mean a cake that is less sweet and more substantial, like a coffeecake. A cake that I would dearly love to have with a cup of tea. These are almond flour gingerbreads, and an almond and coconut flour cranberry walnut cake. 

I have a 'Before Christmas' list that I'm slowly checking things off of, and a (very long) list of things to load into my car on Christmas Eve. Cookies. Cake. COFFEE. Wine. Cute pajamas. Festive clothes. GIFTS. and so on. The same things I would bring if I were having Christmas solo, or with everyone I know, pretty much. What are your essential Christmas things?

I am looking forward to laying down beneath the Christmas tree, to a little kitchen puttering with Mama, to more time to think out my year-end posts. And write on my story. And think about 2021.

Feeling a bit blurry. Wishing for the haze to clear so that all might be accomplished and thought through, and written, and understood. But that's not what is promised in life, is it? I'll try to take tomorrow as it comes. Drink coffee and jot down what I don't want to forget. Till tomorrow then, sleep well. I'm off to listen to Stephen Fry on the Calm app.

No comments: