In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jammie Dodgers and Doctor Who

Hello! Anyone about?
I'll just have a look round....
 
Good, it's just us here. 
But just in case, I do have a plan--
or a thing: it's like a plan, but with more greyness
but first...
Today is all about celebrating Doctor Who, Christmas, and Jammie Dodgers (not exclusively in that order). And to that end, I have indeed made some of my own. I highly recommend. If you don't know, Jammie Dodgers are a popular British biscuit, made of shortbread with jam filling, usually strawberry or raspberry. They come in a packet there in the UK. I'm not sure you can even get them here (especially under that name), however it makes little matter, as mine would have to be gluten-free and dairy free. So it's a good thing I like to bake. And what better excuse to try my hand at these, than a spot of Christmas baking? Queue a Doctor Who Christmas episode, and let the good cheer flow. Make a pot of tea, or heat up the over-steeped builder's tea from earlier in the day. Make sure you eat a few over FaceTime with someone beloved. Kinda want to be Clara when I grow up. Oh wait, I am grown up. And my life isn't so different. We have the same flair... I feel another post coming on.
Here's my recipe in case you'd like it:
Shortbread:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup gluten free 1-to-1 flour
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
pinch salt
~whisk with fork~
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup agave
1/2 tsp almond extract or vanilla
~whisk with a fork till it forms a crumbly ball~
~roll out, very thin, between wax paper or plastic wrap~
~Cut out rounds, and cut out a smaller shape from 1/2 of them~
~Bake on wax paper so they don't break, 4 minutes at 350~
~cool a bit, then dab slightly melted jam on the wholes and add the cutouts~
~Bake 2 more minutes, cool, and enjoy!~

You can see I transitioned to chamomile for the eventide. I hope you can find similar soothings as you navigate this tilt-a-whirl that seems so full of magic and battle that if real life were a novel we would call it far-fetched. May it ever be so. Because whatever this life turns out to be, I need the New Narnia to look forward to, every widening concentric ring of it. "This is what the incarnation is all about--the author of the story becoming not just a character, but a human character. In this narrative, God is the storyteller and the main character. He is the bard and the hero. He authors the fairytale and then comes to kill the dragon and get the girl." --Joe Rigney 
Glory be that He came and ate fish and bread with us. I think he likes Jammie Dodgers too. Some days He and I listen to Bing Crosby together. Turns out He wants us to enjoy the wonders of this world like the Doctor enjoys his jammie dodgers. With this eye-opening, fully-present, want-to-share-the-joy, what-if-this-were-the-last-biscuit kind of awareness. “These tales say that apples were golden only to refresh the forgotten moment when we found out they were green. They make rivers run with wine only to make us remember for one wild moment, that they run with water." --Chesterton

No comments: