In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

O Come, Emmanuel

Hello again, and welcome to December. 
Today I'm sharing pictures of decorating my room for Christmas, as well as some of the Advent resources I'm using this year.

"The people walking in darkness

have seen a great light;

on those living in the land of deep darkness

a light has dawned.

You have enlarged the nation

and increased their joy;

they rejoice before you

as people rejoice at the harvest, 

as warriors rejoice

when dividing the plunder."

Isaiah 9:1-3

Some of my favorite resources throughout the year are prayer apps that follow the liturgical year. This way, my mind is reminded and refreshed, even if I can't search out just the right verses to read or words to say. I'll link to the two I use regularly, Lectio365 and PrayAsYouGo. They are gentle and reflective, but I also learn and am challenged, and edified. On a good day, like this morning, when my earbuds are charged and waiting for me, I'll pop them in and start my apps as soon as I roll out of bed. I am guided through prayer and scripture, ushered into the throne-room, and invited to open my full self to God, to gain his strength for the coming day.

I also bought a second-hand copy of Malcolm Guite's 'Waiting on the Word: a poem a day for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany', which lays by my bed to be snatched up any time I think of it, or read over as I settle down for sleep. I'm always trying to quiet my life enough to read more poetry. And as much as I love and write and breathe poetry, I still find it difficult. But this is an inroad, in beautiful Advent readings.
 Gift and Task is another book of Advent readings that I'm going through with a virtual community this year. A dear uncle and pastor sends these readings to our email in the morning, and then we get to discuss them a few times a week over zoom.
Another source I've loved for years comes from Sarah Clarkson, a writer on beauty, books, and God's goodness. Her instagram is full of encouragement and loveliness, and she reads aloud Advent poems and other readings during this season. She's also putting on a virtual Advent retreat tonight, to usher in this season of joy and watchfulness. 
I think I'll have to experience that in replay, as this evening I plan to help my brother choose a Christmas tree!
 
Each day filled with remembering, and sparkling with merriment, is a full-blown gift. I am blessed beyond measure. Each time I get to see a loved one, open an advent window, buy a little something to make this season just ring with possibilities, or wrap the perfect thing for under the tree, is like a new jewel dropped in my palm.
I have cried a lot of tears, wondered a lot about the plans God has for me, but oh, he has taken such good care of me. He sets me in wide places, and spreads a table for me.
Grace, you could say, is my middle name.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty and the hope. And yes, you are well named.

Kat said...

Love, love. So much. Thank you!