In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Still dreaming of a White Christmas

A few days ago we got a smattering of snow. Just enough to be picturesque, to drift by the windows in snow-globe fashion. But it's mostly gone now. I'd love a little Christmas Eve snow, I'm still dreaming of that. Finally, finally, tonight I got around to watching White Christmas. Some years it's hard to find just the right moment. Perhaps that's the problem. I'd love to only watch it when the time is just right and I can give it my full attention. The truth is, that rarely happens. Even tonight, worn out, and ready for the cozy Christmas nostalgia of it all, I found myself drawing and painting as I watched. Always multitasking. It can be difficult to turn that part of me off, especially during a busy season like this one. It's a coping mechanism, in order to get all the things done that 'need' to be done, but it can be wearying. 

Today my boss asked if I could multitask while I worked. He meant could he talk to me, and would I be able to hear what he was saying. But I felt like saying, "I'm already multitasking! I'm already doing six things and thinking through four more!" Fortunately, what he had to say made sense and we made a decision and moved on. But my brain can feel pulled like stringy cheese in all directions.

There are provisions along the way. Today someone came along at just the right time and offered to help us lift something heavy down from a truck. Tomorrow is a full one, but all things that are relatively life-giving. I'll clean out the coffee roaster, roast a bunch of coffee, and work with our worship band's sound system. There should be time for audiobooks as well as schedule making, water as well as coffee, and singing as well as tuning. Maybe a good shower.

This morning right before my alarm went off I was dreaming I was being recruited for a cult. I punched someone in the nose and got the heck out. Sound tactics. Stress dreams are weird like that. My coworker laughed when I told her and said it sounded about right: 'you'd just go, Nah. this ain't right.'

Today I also took a miniature nap, made a story-outline-cloud (no straight lines involved), and decided I need to watch Laura again soon (the 1944 Noir). I'm working on lists of books to read in the new year, and overall giving the New Year a thought or two. More on that later, as well as the many books I've read this year. 

I painted the watercolor for the giveaway today! Still time to go enter, I pick the winner on Sunday. Till tomorrow then, beauties...


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Full and beautiful days!