In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step in Time it's Christmas Time

 https://imgs.heart.co.uk/images/35482?width=3173&crop=16_9&signature=YyMgQbt8KAt1tF9rzEfU7g9xs8A=

On days when I clean the roaster I always feel like a chimney sweep. The natural oils given off when you roast coffee beans means that every bit of chaff, dust, burnt bean, and soot turns into a greasy, dusty cement (you're welcome for the mental picture). Don't worry, not only is this cleaning process so that you never get any of that in your cup of joe, but it's well ventilated and piped, so all the gross stuff ends up in the machine, and not anywhere near your beans. That's why I regularly get to take apart this beastie, every screw and knob, to drill out, steel-brush out, and vacuum out all the corners. I even have to ask for a volunteer from the audience (coworkers) to hold bits of it while I drill. It's a process, and a grimy one. And by the time the day is done there's nothing I want more than a hot shower.

 It's also that time of year when random regulars bring treats to us at the coffeeshop. Taffy, fudge, Christmas cookies. (And let's talk about how my boss looks crestfallen every time he learns I can't eat one of the treats.) Today our favorite regular brought taffy and fudge in festive gift wrap, and then stayed to chat. Hearing about our grease-gun dilemma (I need it to lubricate the roaster), he actually ended up taking a piece home so he could take it apart for us! He said was, in fact, self serving, as he has an invested interest in that roaster staying in good order. We love our coffeeshop community!

So that was my day, dearies. Some very satisfying cleaning, a lot of coffee roasting, a bit of this and that, and a good hot shower at the end. I'm off in a mo' to help set up sound equipment (sporadically sing into mics and be generally helpful). If I get any interesting pictures or anecdotes from the night, I'll put them up tomorrow! 

P.S. Can you believe it's only a week till Christmas? Tomorrow we'll talk Hanukkah and Christmas again, and see where we're at in terms of preparedness. Till then, don't stress. Deep breath.