In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November

Most people would not attempt to climb stairs in the dark while holding their purse, a cup of tea, a cup of soup, and a banana. But doing things in the dark has always been a sort of hobby of mine, like practicing MacGyver skills. And no, I didn't fall (or spill).  It's always interesting to see (;p) how many things one can do just as well in the dark. Stairs for instance, are quite easy once you know how many steps there are. I run up and down in the dark on early mornings when I don't want to disturb people sleeping; sometimes I whisper-count as I go, just to be sure I don't slip and make an even more disturbing noise.

Anyway, moving on from this random tid-bit about me. I was quite glad to get home tonight after a long afternoon of work. It was mostly a calm day, but became a little hectic toward the end. One of our regular costumers was stopping through and I mentioned that it was a little crazy so I wasn't at my best. He just nodded and said in his calm way, "you'll make it".  It was very encouraging. "I will!" I answered.
And I did. Not even as late as I thought it might be.
And now I'm safely home.

Got to talk to Mama on the phone a little on my way home. Lovely to hear her voice! Not sure if I'll make it back to the old home-place until Thanksgiving, but there is no more cozy place to visit on earth. And there's something really special, I even think, about being away from (the parental's home) for long stretches, and coming back for the big holidays.

It's deer-hunting opener this weekend, so the men of the family are all up north, sitting in deer stands and such. In some ways I wish I were with them, not to join in the actual hunting so much. Just to experience the north woods, and the no-where-ness, the nearness of wild-life, and the turn of the season. There's something very special about that. Of course there's also a lot of sitting in the cold, and as an easily-cold person, that may not be the best idea.

At any rate, deer-hunting opener is like a holiday to me, and marks the season. November, that month of fall and winter in one. Indian summer, like today: warm enough for short sleeves, even coming home in the dark this evening. Plus the first hard freezes, and usually the first snow (I'm actually excited for that one). Now is the time for the making of Christmas presents, and deciding about cards, and figuring out if one has a snow-shovel, and if there are emergency candles in one's car. And all the northerners are good-naturedly digging in their heels for what's to come. It's a hopeful season, and usually a busy one.

I'm being wordy tonight, for no particular reason (except maybe that last night's post was a bit of a cop-out--I wasn't feeling very good). Anyway, sometimes thoughts come, and sometimes they don't.

I'm hoping to do a little more writing here in November, despite the busyness. Nothing like NaNoWriMo, I'm not that ambitious (kudos to any who are doing it! and here's a good resource forum). But for me, just a little here and there. Got to keep scribbling.

Good night everyone! I may or may not go watch some Nigella Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mad Ninja skills!! :-) It is so sweet and wonderful to hear of your love of your Mom, Family, and Home. Praise God for that!!! ~tammy