In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10.27


Early mornings are extremely enjoyable, when you're not getting ready for work. Early dawn sky, quiet traffic, distant lights, soft puttering sounds of movement through the house. Someone hops in the shower, someone's heading out the door for work. I start banana pancakes "pretend like it's the weekend..." 

Hug one roommate goodbye as she sets off on an adventure that will keep her for a couple of weeks.

There was a desperate moment this morning when I couldn't find my Oxford American Verse. I was wracking my brain (for about 45 seconds) thinking I can't have left home without it! Impossible! I found it in one of my clever and tidy stacks of course. Ahhh... William Cullen Bryant. Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I was just thinking what a delight and a gift it is to have memorized poetry (and verses, and bits of books) as a child. I may not remember all of what I once knew, but the words are still a part of you, and phrases float to the surface sometimes, at opportune moments: When streams run low and on the brooks, In idle golden freighting, Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush, Of woods for winter waiting.

I did some leisurely computer time and writing, baked an apple cake, worked on a few crafts. For supper I made chicken and veggies: I layered green beans, sweet potatoes, chicken breast, and regular potatoes in a pan, poured honey mustard dressing over all, and stuck it in the oven for an hour and a half. My brothers had come over by this time, and we settled down to work on some music.

We stopped a little for food, but basically worked on music for four hours. By which time we were a bit fried, but Ashley and her brothers had come by that time, so we just chilled and talked for a few more hours. Very enjoyable. Now off to bed to wake up another day!
      

No comments: