In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From laundromats to Attolia


The fall colors are coming on in earnest now, and we might get frost tonight. These days are a jumble of different things: this morning I baked pumpkin muffins and roasted a large pan of veggies. Healthy and semi-portable food! There's work of course, and plumbers coming to fix the sink, and someone coming tomorrow to fix the leak in the roof above my bedroom...

Yesterday after work I went to the laundromat. It's a very pleasant sight and sound, the swishing of colored laundry in slightly sudsy water. The rumble of dryers, the soft chatter of people around. Ben came over to help me pass the time and we discussed how laundromats remind us of cozy tv shows and therefore almost feel nostalgic: Ross and Rachel in Friends, Don Eppes in Num3rs, with his favorite date being pizza at a laundromat...

Ben and I hung out for a while, had more coffee, chatted and discussed anecdotes of city life. I got to see where he was staying, a very cozy place. We shared an enormous Honeycrisp apple.

I get to see my parents briefly tonight! And they get to see my house as well. Yay!

Just found out some crazy happy news. I can hardly contain the joy of this news:

Megan Whalen Turner is coming out with a fifth Thief book! And possibly a sixth! I didn't even know whether she was still writing. That series contains some of my favorite books ever, and I am giddy at the thought of more! Those books and characters are dear to my heart, and Ms. Turner's subtlety, wit, and all around story-weaving is absolutely brilliant. I wait with bated breath till May.

No comments: