In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Deep Breath


I'm unwinding from a crazy day. The morning was nice. Woke up at the parent's house and puttered about getting breakfast (bacon!) and putting stuff together so that I could head home before long. Mama and I were able to chat a little, and I look forward to a slightly longer and more relaxed visit sometime soon.

After driving back to the cities, I headed to work, and that's where the day got laughably crazy. But I'm home again now, and I have a pot of rice on the stove. I'm boiling an egg, and listening to my Breath playlist. I think perhaps a movie is in order. And lots of sitting.

I'm excited to be able to go to church tomorrow!

It was a gorgeous fall day out-of-doors today. I didn't get much chance to experience it except early this morning when I took a stroll through Dad's gardens. I startled a rabbit out of the herbs, and picked a few peppers from the veggie patch.

As I drove I saw the trees beginning to turn various colors. A lone goose flew overhead and took my breath away with the stark autumn glory of it all. Flocks of grackles and murmurations of starlings swooped through the air, and the sky continued softly grey. There was just enough of a cool, buffeting breeze that I was able to wear my gold corduroy jacket; and my turquoise scarf blew about and flew behind me very artistically.

I looked up from the road and saw an American flag flapping against the darkening sky, above me on an overpass. It made me smile involuntarily with gladness at the hopeful sight.
I also cried while listening to Burn Us Up.

And my day was lightened with laughter by a little Archie Goodwin:

"I was aware, from tones and expressions and the atmosphere, that we were at a crisis, but I didn't know what kind, so all I could do was meet his eyes and look loyal and confident and absolutely intrepid."

-The Black Mountain, by Rex Stout

It's even funnier in context. You really should get the audiobook. The voice is unbeatable.

No comments: