In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

8.13

Yesterday was a rain-all-day, pre-Autumn sort of day. I about froze in the AC at work and had to grab a sweater at lunch. Almost grabbed a nap as well, but settled for coffee and chocolate zucchini bread. The day was gloriously splashy and cloudy. I only wished I wasn't working so I could listen to Rachmaninov or Mozart. The eaves dripped, the petunias nodded, the trees rested quietly amid the deluge, roots soaking and memories storing up against the coming seasons.
When the headlights came on as evening approached, I started to think of Oscar Peterson and family supper.

***

*flails arms, wildly gesticulating and beating time silently to the sound of Hamilton in my headphones*

(You know what has dope syllables though? Lin Manuel Miranda. Someday I will use his name in an epic rhyme.)

***

Today was a lovely reunion sort of day with my mother's family. Thanks to all those who traveled across the country! But it was wonderful to see everyone--even the closer people we don't see as often as we'd like. Great food, watching some Olympics, singing of course, playing catch. Lots of adorable babies! Precious time. Missing all those who couldn't make it.
Feeling sleepy now, dozing off in the chair. Watching online videos of Olympic moments we missed. Congratulations Simone! (Both of you actually).
Getting ready for the busy week ahead when I'll be going back and forth from old and new jobs. Not too much longer!

No comments: