In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Inauguration: step one

Day 2 (technically): but this will be my very first introduction to the house in person. I am very excited and will of course be sharing pictures, probably tomorrow. For now, here's a list of what I'm bringing on my initial inaugurating visit to my new home. Before I move in with force, dragging large pieces of furniture around and generally making a big deal of moving things hither and thither... I must first make the proper introductions.
  Salut. A pleasure to make your acquaintance; my name is Olivia. I do hope we might be friends.

1. The Audrey Hepburn Touch 
(If we can't look to her for a little class and flair, where can we look?)
We begin with a little black dress. "One is never overdressed or underdressed in a little black dress." someone named Karl Lagerfeld said. While that may not be true across the board, there is a great deal of utility and class in a little black dress, and it seemed an appropriate item to be first in my closet. And then of course one must have matching shoes, black eyeliner, and lipstick. Honestly, on a hard day, lipstick does wonders.
2. The Practical Touch 
The necessary change of clothes: must be comfortable, useful, and not at all ugly. Smelling fresh is a definite must--both for me and the house. Must have all the essentials to make a home clean and inviting.



3. The Cozy Touch
A pooffy pillow to sit on, the versatile pashmina, books. Sayers and Wodehouse seemed like pleasant comrades to invite at the first. Good company.

4. The British Touch
These could definitely be classed above, for they certainly administer great comfort and cosiness. But in my mind they needed a class by themselves. Tea in a tin, and a proper-sized mug to drink from: additives to come later. But one cannot be entirely without tea any more than one can be entirely without coffee. I am instantly reminded of The Most British Thing the Doctor Ever Did:
"Just what I needed, good spot of tea! Superheated infusion of free radicals and tannin. Just the thing for healing the synapses!"

I also have a laundry basket of dishes, (and a trusty tape-measure of course) and I may throw in another thing or two (a broom or a mirror or something) but that is largely what is coming with me for the opening session.
.... I should really bring a bottle of ginger-ale to smash over the railing or something. 
I probably won't.
And since Julian Jarman is fictional, most likely no one else will either.

More info to come! And while you're here, I just read a blogpost from Sarah over at Thoroughly Alive: called The World is a Wedding Renewed. Glorious truths! I love Jesus so much. Lovely post. Do read it if you have a moment.

No comments: