In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rainy Saturday

 pancake Saturday morning



Filling the shelf Ben brought with him last night, and arranging around.
 Last night Will came over too, and the three of us had supper and sang together with guitars for hours, and until they had to leave.

___________________________________________________________________


This afternoon I headed to the Cuppa Java near my house for wifi and company. This is the first time I've been here, so I wanted to check out the atmosphere and see if it was the kind of place I'd want to frequent... that kind of thing. Vibes, is the term. Good coffee? Good vibes? The important checklists of visiting a new establishment. And of course wifi, although most places have decent wifi these days.
The verdict? Great vibes.
It may have something to do with my frame of mind on this cosy day, but I love it here.
They're playing pop music, but not too loud. I was able to put in earbuds and listen to my Autumn playlist (sshh) and revel in the dreamy jazz in my own little world. It sits on a corner, nestled in a neighborhood, giving it a small town feel without the isolation. The downtown skyline is just behind those trees. The people are friendly, there's coffee and chatter. And after the rain this morning, it's a perfect place to be this afternoon.
It's cheerful and busy, and full of conversation. Not a place to go for quiet necessarily, but a great place to go for life, a gentle bustle of activity; company. It has a feeling more like a cheerful restaurant than some of the quieter coffeeshops. But it's still a good place to write and think.
There's hgtv on in case you're bored, you can order a glass of wine or some food. But some of us are just reading: books, maps, or laptops, sipping coffee. Quite a few people come in with little children; it's a great place to people-watch... all kinds of people; old and young; some in well-put-together outfits, and others more casual, like me.
Today I wore camo pants and flannel shirt, no makeup; it's a chilly Saturday, absolutely delightful pre-autumn raininess and clouds. The sky is grey and small groups of birds swoop between buildings. In the distance I'm beginning to hear geese calling.

No comments: