In lieu of trying to belong to any number of societies: Chesterton, Sherlock Holmes, the Inklings, and so on: I propose and establish one of my own. Don your intelligence cap at the door; dust off your logic and imagination; did you bring your inspiration and encouragement? We are shapers, my friends; lit lamps; light-bringers. Bring quotes; poetry should be uplifting and thoughtful, or witty and clever, (or both). Humor is encouraged; laughter is invited back. Pull up a chair. Anyone for tea?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Music, laughter, cars, life


Have you ever wished you could give Henry Ford a spin in your car? I just imagine the look of bewilderment at the shape of the vehicle, wide eyes at the broad highways. What is that? Oh, that's the air conditioning. It's to keep us cool. WHAT'S THAT? You accidentally hit the seat-warmer. Would he be horrified at the speed at which we fly down the freeway, changing lanes with odd blinking things and flashing lights? Or would he be ecstatic at the heights to which transportation has soared since his early days?
Imagine turning on the radio, or inserting a CD, for heaven's sake! The sound of an orchestra, or a jazz band at the touch of a button. (Not to mention modern music.)

Such are the thoughts that run through my head as I drive toward the city in the evening, looking forward to my house and bed ahead of me. And movie time with friends. I had finished my third-to-last day at my old job, loaded up my car, and headed out. The sky above turned rosy-pink as the sun went down. Purple-blue clouds streaked across the vastness above. The water I passed by: lakes, swamps, and wide rain-puddles--were glassy smooth, reflecting the trees and reeds and sky around. I wish I could have captured it with a picture or a paintbrush, but I lack skill in both areas, not to mention driving by in a car is not conducive to the art.

I grabbed a collection of CDs yesterday for my car, so I was able to listen to Josh Groban as I drove.  Turn your head up to the sky. And after that I turned on Jason and the G-men, which kept me awake and singing, and reminded me how good the musicianship is (drums and bass for the win).

I arrived at the house to gales of laughter--good medicine for all. And after carrying in the essentials, I joined them in watching The Devil Wears Prada. I had actually been thinking about that movie recently, and thinking it would be a fun one to watch with some of the girls! There was popcorn and watermelon, laughter and hilarity that lasted much longer than the movie.
We checked our work schedules and got to bed at a pretty reasonable hour. I read about one page and then curled up and drifted off. 




 Sorry to bore with so many photos of my breakfast, but I was a trifle enchanted by the light, as well as the deliciousness.

I was able to read several chapters of my book, finish bringing in stuff from the car, polish a few scuffs, and shower. I love showers. Hot water pouring down on your head, sweet-smelling shampoo rushing about under the deluge. It's a good place for thought, and there's nothing quite like the feeling of freshness after.
 I listened to Owl City on the road this morning. Thoroughly enjoying Midsummer Station. Sang lustily along with Adam Young, appreciated the bass in my speakers. Something about good tunes when you're on the road...
Now I'm at work early again to make use of the wifi, and post this before the day gets away with me. The last couple of posts were of the brief variety. Not that I mind those. Sometimes they're just right.
Take care my friends, and happy Tuesday!

No comments: